Lehigh Valley Science and Engineering Research Fair
2017 LVSF: Friday, March 10 & Saturday, March 11, 2017
This year's sponsor information session will be held on Thursday, October 6 at 7:00 a.m. in the Tower Room of Iacocca Hall. Breakfast will be provided!
Teachers and principals from participating schools are invited.
Note: This session is not open to parents of participants. Students who attend a school that particpates in the fair must have a sponsor from their home school. If a sponsor is not available from the student's school, the Office of Academic Outreach will arrange a sponsor for the student.
Kindly RSVP if you plan to attend. Attendance is strongly encouraged for all adult sponsors. There are many changes to the 2017 Fair that will be discussed at the session.
The 2017 fair will take place on Friday, March 10th (set-up and registration) and Saturday, March 11th (competition) at Lehigh University, Goodman Campus Rauch Field House, 123 Goodman Drive.
Project Deadlines and Important Dates:
Wednesday, November 23
Completed science fair project packets due
completed registration Forms, Form 1, Form 1A, Form 1B, Research Plan, other forms as required
Monday, December 19
PROJECT STATUS REPORT 1 sent to sponsors
Friday January 13
- All project modifications and updates due
Friday, January 27
- PROJECT STATUS REPORT 2 sent to sponsors
Wednesday, February 1
- Final deadline for all updates and modifications to all projects
Tuesday, February 7
- PROJECT STATUS REPORT 3 (FINAL REPORT) sent to sponsors
- This is the final report - no more additions or changes may be made after this date
- Deadline to notify Lehigh University of students who no longer plan to participate
- This final report will identify any participants who have not fulfilled all of the requirements and SRC requested changes/modifications
- Students who have not completed all updates/modifications will not be able to participate in the fair
Tuesday, February 21
- Letters sent (via US mail) to approved participants that they have been approved to participate in the LVSF
The fair is facilitated by its proud sponsors, Lehigh University and Insaco, Inc., teachers, and parents. Teachers volunteer their personal time to prepare their students for this special day; this is above and beyond the call of duty and is greatly appreciated. The judges are also volunteers, who spend their own time interviewing these bright and talented young people. Faculty and staff also contribute their time to provide hands-on learning experiences for these young people.
The purpose of the Science and Engineering Fair is to increase awareness in the areas of mathematics, science, technology, and engineering, and motivate area students in grade 6-12 to pursue careers in these fields. Sponsored by Lehigh University and Insaco, Inc., the fair is held once a year in Rauch Fieldhouse at Lehigh University and has approximately 250 participants each year. Winners have the opportunity to participate in the Delaware Valley Fair and potentially, the International Science and Engineering Fair.
PLEASE NOTE: No Micro projects are permitted for the middle school students. This includes yeast and mold projects!
Science Fair Weekend Agenda:
Friday, March 10, 2017 - Registration, project set-up, and safety check for all students from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- If the student is unable to attend registration, someone else (parent, teacher or friend) can set up on the student's behalf. Projects MUST be set up Friday night - no exceptions. Bring your log or research book on Friday.
- Parents and teachers may view projects during this time. This is the only time allowed for anyone other than participants, judges and fair officials to be on the floor.
Saturday, March 11, 2017 - Day of fair from 12:15 PM to 5:00 PM
- Teachers and parents are NOT permitted on the floor during judging on Saturday. A separate area will be set up for parent and teachers who wish to attend. The public may view projects on Friday evening during the registration and set up time. All students MUST set up their project in Rauch Field House on Friday, March 10th 2017 between 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM. If the student is unable to, a parent or teacher can set up on the student's behalf. Projects will NOT be allowed to be set up on Saturday morning. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
On Saturday, March 11, 2017, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Lehigh University and Insaco, Inc. will sponsor the annual Lehigh Valley Science and Engineering Fair at Lehigh University’s Rauch Field House. Success of the event is due in no small part to the tremendous effort of our volunteer judges. Over 300 Lehigh Valley students in grade 6 through 12 will display the results of their research projects. The goal is to generate and maintain interest in science and engineering. By doing independent research, science comes alive for these students and becomes more than a dull classroom experience.
We are interested in recruiting one hundred and fifty (150) judges for the 2017 science fair. Science and engineering professionals with a minimum of a bachelor of science degree to help evaluate these projects. Judges will meet with the students and listen to them describe their work. Then, judges will have the opportunity to make suggestions, offer guidance, and support. Fair judges may be one of the only “professional” scientists or engineers these students have ever met. In one day, judges can do more to encourage young people to follow careers in science and engineering, than you ever dreamed.
Participating judges will find this experience extremely rewarding. Please volunteer one day of your time to help encourage a young scientist or engineer.
The Lehigh Valley Science Fair takes place at the Rauch Field House on Lehigh University's Goodman Campus located in Saucon Valley.
Judges should plan on arriving between 8:00 and 8:30 Saturday morning. A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided for all judges.
Judging generally concludes around 3:00-3:30 depending on the number of projects and the size of the judging group. Detailed information will be sent to registered judges approximately 7-10 days before the fair.
If you are interested in serving as a judge for the 2017 competition to be held on March 11, 2017, please complete this online form. (Form available in the fall.)
For more information about judging the LVSF please contact:
Robert Haines, Head Judge
P.O. Box 9006
Quakertown, PA 18951-9006
(215) 536-3500 FAX (215) 536-7750
If you have any questions, please email Mr. Haines at firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: TEACHERS FROM PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. JUDGES MUST HAVE AT LEAST A BS DEGREE.
The mission of the Delaware Valley Regional Science Fair is to bring parents, teachers, and industry together to encourage and nurture students so that they grow and develop into contributing members of the community. The philosophy is students learn science by doing science. The fair provides a forum for students to present their scientific work and interact with scientists as well as receive feedback on their efforts. Students are awarded, scholarships, cash prizes, and other non-monetary recognition for their work. Each year, first place winners from the Lehigh Valley fair go on to participate in the Regional fair.
LVSF Mission Statement:
The 2016 Fair had close to 500 projects entered. Close to 300 projects were set up for judgine this year.